Friday, July 27, 2012

My tale of Planticide

Every plant  I touch... dies. So I have a theory that if I name the plant then maybe, just maybe, I can keep it alive.   I've decided that whenever I get a new plant or have discovered that an existing plant just isn't going to make it- I name  it.  I have no idea whether this is really helping the plant but it puts my mindset into the mode of a caretaker. I feel that if I focus my energy into giving love and focusing on the welfare of another being then I think that I'm more likely to be in tune with what that being needs. Basically, I'm reversing the old farmer's adage of don't name the animals you are planning to slaughter...

**Update on Edward, I've managed to kill him. The photos of Edward from the aloe post were from the early winter... during the late winter I noticed that poor Edward looked cold so I moved him closer to the radiator and unwittingly cooked him alive while I was at work. I decided to not make it as part of my aloe post but I felt mounds of guilt upon looking at poor Edward's picture. He looked so bright and happy. Rest in peace Edward. If you must now, cooked Aloe looks a lot like a brown mushy banana. This makes me seriously question my caretaker skills..

 Now, I'm pondering if my decision to name my plants just makes it that much harder to move on emotionally once I inadvertently kill them. Sigh... as a green witch I really need to get better at not killing indoor plants.  So far, the garden is doing very well but maybe that's because Big Daddy tends to it and I don't really touch any of the plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment